The Alan Moore House

715 W Broadway

Newton, KS 67114

Get Directions



The Alan Moore house was built ca. 1884 in the Italianate architectural style. Moore came to Kansas from Iowa in 1871, first settling in Butler County. In 1875, he moved to Newton where he performed contract work for the Atchison, Topeka, Santa Fe Railroad. Moore was also known for his construction of the first street railway and as director of the Newton Real Estate and Investment Co. Moore was born in Iowa in January 1853 and moved to Augusta, Butler County, Kansas, with his parents in 1871. In 1875, he married Mary Adella “Addie” McPherson and moved to Newton later that year. In his early endeavors, Moore established himself in the livery business, which he advertised as Gayety Livery Stables located on the north side of E 6th Street. He boarded, bought and sold horses and mules, rented carriages and teams, and operated as a stop for a couple of stages lines between Newton and El Dorado. In 1882, he sold his livery to M. A. Seaman who continued to operate the livery into the 1890s. In May 1883, Moore purchased 80 acres of ground west of Sand Creek and built the home that stands today at 715 W Broadway. Following its completion, the Moores took residence in October 1884. He later established Moore's addition and sold lots from his acreage, developing the neighborhood. By 1885, Moore had a new endeavor in mind and chartered the Newton Street Railway company. By January 1887, the railway was approved by city leaders and they broke ground in April that same year. The first run of the horse-drawn railway, which ran from 1st Street to 12th Street, took place on June 29, 1887, with branches along 1st Street and Broadway added in July. It was boasted by local newspapers as a valuable and much needed amenity to the community. However, when Newton’s banking and real estate industries crashed during the Newton Panic, the Newton Street Railway company shared the fate as many other businesses and closed in November 1890. Despite the loss, Moore continued to reside in Newton, unlike others who had lost investments fled to find “greener pastures.” Moore went on to work in construction and as a contractor for the railroad. He also served multiple terms as county commissioner. He died on September 16, 1916. His obituary, in The Evening-Kansan Republican dated Sept. 20, 1916, it was noted the “He was a forceful man of the strictest integrity of a quiet unobtrusive disposition, a genial gentleman, and generous friend. In the death of Mr. Moore, Newton lost one of her foremost citizens.”




Upload image